Sunday, 12 April 2015

The Hobbit - 1/16 Thorin



"(...) and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel.
This last belonged to Thorin, an enormously important dwarf,
in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself,
who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's mat (...)"


One year. Fuckitty fuck.

Sorry for the lack of news. A lot happened in one year. (And I'm lazy, yeah.) I surprisingly became a professional SF translator, finished a second master's degree in the obscur field of GIS, aaand... decided to create my own company. Oh, and I turned 30. Phew. Busy year. Less surprisingly, it resulted in a quite uneventful private life. Still single. (But no cat !)

Hope you are all doing well =)

The "tapestry-cross-stitch thingy" is going well. I have a few dwarves waiting to meet you. This week : the mighty Thorin.

By the way, the last movie of The Hobbit ? Meh.


What movie / TV-show am I going to ramble about ?

The second season of Black Sails ? (Oh yeah.) Kingsman ? (*nerdgasm*) No. Let's talk about... Murdoch Mysteries.

I sometimes watch TV, but not a lot. Good French shows are scarce, to say the least. But from time to time I'm too tired for English shows and subtitles, so I channel-surf and watch something in French. This is how I discovered Murdoch Mysteries.

Crabtree, Dr Ogden, Murdoch and Brackenreid :
arresting criminals and dealing with new technologies with style

I was asked to describe it. I think I said : "a Canadian kind of steam-punk Sherlock Holmes". It's so much more. The main character is not a badass hero, but a shy, polite and nerdy inspector. Nikola Tesla is a recurring character. Nikola. Tesla. And so is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

What more could you ask for ? A spin-off relating the ridiculous horror novel written by one of the characters ? Check. A second spin-off where the main character ends nowadays and meets the 2010's version of his colleagues ? Double-check.

Anyway : it's fun. It's clever. It has nothing to do with the novel. It's historically instructive. It's sometimes hilarious, especially when Officer Crabtree philosophizes about aliens or cows. It's a great show. Go and watch it !

No comments:

Post a Comment